Once again, it was time to make another set of “Thank You Coach” cookies for my son’s school soccer coaches. My first conundrum was to create burgundy/maroon icing to match the team jerseys. I used AmeriColor Burgundy, but the icing only looked dusty rose. I then added a bit of Wilton No-Taste Red, Wilton Violet and Wilton Black. It actually turned out quite well. In this picture the AmeriColor Burgundy is on the left, and the custom blend on right.
I was in a rush (as usual), and it was dark outside when I got to the stage of lettering the plaques. My preferred method is to place the lettering using the iPad Camera Lucida app and a lightly placed graphite pencil line. However, my kitchen has poor lighting and I was having difficulty viewing the line to pipe on one of the plaques. Consequently, I grabbed what I thought was a black Wilton Food Writer (it was actually blue), and went over some of the lettering lightly. I then piped the burgundy/maroon lettering, and placed it to dry in the dehydrator. Unfortunately, when I checked it the next day, the blue food dye had bled out from under the lettering. Lesson learned. I won’t be doing that again. Either pipe free hand, place lamps for better lighting, or wait for daylight!
On the bright side, the soccer balls turned out better overall than previously. This time I piped the white areas before flooding, and got less flow-over into the black. As well, I did not outline the white areas on the edges of the cookies with black, but actually used the white piping to outline and flood. Since it was thicker than the flood icing, it was less likely to run over the edge.
ADDENDUM: I have since used a food writer on a flooded cookie, but this time left it to dry for a few hours, instead of immediately piping on top of the food writer ink. This time there was no bleeding. The other difference was that this was a dark flooded base with white piping, but I don’t think that matters. The important thing was to wait a few hours for the food writer ink to dry.