My daughter’s provincial basketball season ended without significant warning and I scrambled to get thank you Basketball Cookies for the coaches finished. I chose to make a basketball cookie bouquet for each of the three coaches. (I previously posted about my method of baking cookies on a stick / cookie pops.)
The jerseys were a dark forest green, but I knew from experience that darkly tinted royal icing can be a problem; it can bleed, separate, and do all kinds of wonky things. Consequently, I decided to not try to come up with an exact colour match, but rather to mix a colour that would “speak to” the jersey colour. (I think I have been watching too many house decorating shows! 🙂 ) I started with some left over royal icing which had been prepared for my Teacher Appreciation Word Puzzle cookies. It had been coloured with Wilton Leaf Green and the leftovers were frozen. I let it come to room temperature, then added a touch of Wilton Royal Blue and a smidgen of black. I was pleased with the final colour. I did find that there was some “ghosting” of the white number which I piped and flooded onto the jersey, despite the fact that the green flood had been left to dry 24 hours before proceeding. The white icing had been tinted white with Wilton’s White-White and I am pretty sure I thinned the flood too much as I had a problem with it overflowing off the plaques in the dehydrator. (The outline was piped with a #3 round Wilton tip.) However, the “ghosting” was faint and didn’t ruin the look of the cookies.
Each set contained 3 basketballs. I found a coffee mug whose opening was the exact diameter required, and traced the mug for the basketball outline using a black Wilton Food Writer. (It was my good ol’ Tim Horton’s mug.) The iPad Camera Lucida app was used to transfer the other piping lines. The food marker lines were left to dry overnight, as previously I had a problem with bleeding of the food writer ink.
A whistle is a must for many sports, basketball included.
A font was chosen that was similar to the font on the original jerseys. Again, the iPad Camera Lucida app was used to outline the lettering. It was then piped and flooded with a PME #1.5 tip. I actually found that I could pipe a fairly wide line if I moved the tip slowly and let the icing build up. It flowed together nicely, and not all the letters were outlined in the usual fashion.
Overall, the sets turned out well. There was little bleeding. However, a test cookie was quite dry, so there was a trade-off with the increased time in the dehydrator… I think I left them in longer than previously because of the past issues with food writer ink bleed. However, the cookies softened up if microwaved for a few seconds.
The cookies were a big hit as the other coaches also have children. It’s hard to go wrong when giving personalized cookies presented in such an eye-catching fashion!